A message from Golden Fire Rescue Print Article Font Size

golden-fire-rescue-logo.jpgThe Christmas season is upon us and we are approaching one the most festive times of the year. Sadly, it can also be a dangerous time that can keep your emergency responders busy.

Whether it is Christmas trees, candles, fireplaces or festive cooking; please follow these tips to help you and your family have a safe holiday.

That real Christmas tree has likely been up for a while. Watering it daily will prevent it from drying out and make it last longer. Be sure to set your tree up away from exits and other sources of heat as well. If it starts to lose large amounts of needles it’s too dry – and that’s unsafe.

Make sure candles are in a sturdy holder on a stable surface away from anything that can burn – tipped over candles are a common cause of fires. A burning candle should never be left unattended.

Don’t overload electrical circuits. It’s tempting at this time of year to run as many strings of decorative lights as possible. Avoid creating a dangerous electrical octopus. L.E.D. lights are great way to minimize that risk and they’re easy on your electrical bill as well. Remember that extension cords are meant for temporary use only – don’t run them under carpets as they can become damaged and start a fire. Be sure to turn off or unplug decorative lights before going to bed or leaving your home.

Once the presents are all open, and it’s time to clean up, please do not burn the gift wrapping paper in your fireplace or woodstove. The sudden, intense heat created can start a chimney fire.

Kitchen fires, caused by unattended cooking, are one of the leading causes of fires over the holidays Stay in the kitchen when cooking so you can keep a close eye on the food, especially when frying and sautéing with oil; and keep flammable materials like oven mitts away from hot surfaces. If you do have a small grease or cooking oil fire, smother the flames by sliding a lid over the pan and turning off the burner. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.

Keeping friends and family safe is a great gift. Could your elderly relatives and neighbours use some help in checking some of these items? How about your son or daughter’s university accommodation? Are you still looking for gift ideas - how about a smoke alarm, fire extinguisher or carbon monoxide detector?

Best wishes for a safe and merry Christmas from all of us at Golden Fire Rescue.